A history and summary of competitive PF

phantomforces
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fdbd73b53c0>

Phantom Forces is and never was a competitive game, this is why competitive PF has failed to become popular or successful. The game simply isn’t designed for it. The devs will not say it was meant to be played competitively because it is not.
A brief history of competitive PF:
CPFL Season 1:
It actually finished, games were streamed and commentated. It was officially backed by Stylis. This season took months to finish, players from CBRO (a competitive game) often mocked how long it took for PF tournaments to finish.
CPFL Season 2:
Took way too long. Partly the staff’s fault. Became inactive and died.
Along with the death of CPFL, was the death of Stylis backed competitive.
PFRM:
This league was a last-ditch effort to save competitive PF. It was a success by many metrics and sort of showed the game could be played competitively. It basically kept the community alive, with a grand total of 972 matches played in its existence.

Note (1):
Other tournaments have been held, notably: EC 4v4, SLT 2v2, PFCA, PFCL, and even No5712s tournament. These tournaments did little to shape the competitive PF scene though.

Now, let’s compare this to CBRO, a (shitty) clone of one of the best competitive games ever. CBRO hosted multiple seasons and tournaments during comp PF’s lifespan, including but not exclusively:
CBCL
CBPL
CBGL
CBRM
CBMM
etc.
Note (2):
Competitive CBRO has also sort of died because Proofyy deleted the CBCL discord.

CBRO was and is a shitty game, but it was a competitive game. It had a built-in comp mode and fostered competitive play among the casual crowd. Phantom Forces is completely different, the game is not competitive, it was made as a basic shooter with cool guns and knives. The dev team knows this, and rather than doing things to make the game more fair and balanced, they add skins, knives, other cosmetic things such as map revamps, etc. This isn’t a bad thing, they are developing the game into a better version of the current game, good on them. It has just sort of dawned on me today that competitive PF has never been properly done because it CAN’T be properly done. It took me months of trying to make it work and a close friend allowing a not so close friend to destroy all my work to realize this. There is a population of PF players who are too good for the main game, they are looking for a challenge. They are homeless in a sense because nobody is providing that challenge. PF is not meant for competitive play, not in the current version, this is why competitive PF as a whole has never worked out, this is also why Stylis won’t make another official competitive league, this is why comp mode is a myth, this is the reason for the failure of competitive PF on a grand scale.

This is the end of my post, the following are some statistics followed by a daydream.

Sincerely,
Christian “Pianofrenzy”

I conducted a study among 65 players I met in the SS discord.
Basically, I would ask them if they wanted to play competitive PF
47 responded with something similar to "Whats comp pf?"
the other player either knew what it was and accepted or denied.
I would invite them to the PFRM server and we would play a match.
53 players played a match, ranging from a rank 32 with a 1 kdr, to a rank 100+ with a 7 kdr, we played standard PFRM rules and such. What I took away from the experiment was that PF players in the stylis studios discord are generally open to competitive PF. I also know that Nolan from the stylis staff made a bot to do matchmaking. In my opinion, stylis staff run competitive PF matchmaking would be awesome for the community. If done correctly, you could see 50+ matches a day. On top of that, stylis has like 6 programmers. This is a massive advantage over PFRM having one kid learn enough python to make it work. Once again, the game is not made for competitive and is technically not competitively viable as it stands, but the community has shown it enjoys the idea.

k…

It’s difficult to have a competitive aspect to a game that runs on such an atrocious framework. Imagine if CS:GO’s servers let you die around corners or get shot behind the enemy’s back as consistently as Phantom Force’s does. It would be ridiculous.

If you want an actual competitive game, you’re going to have to cough up some money to pay for those dedicated servers.

Also, a big problem with Phantom Forces in the realm of something like an E-Sport is that it’s incredibly boring to watch. Try following another player around and just seeing what they do. It’s really, really boring, since the maps are so huge that finding people is an issue on every map. The worst culprits encourage camping with the stupidly long sightlines that they afford, meaning that actually having an organized method of play is very difficult unless you limit where the players can go or ban certain weapons.

The game is not only not built for Competitive play, but it’s seemingly built to directly disallow it.

Mind if I use part of this in the Wiki or apart of a History I will make?

Not at all.

There’s a new attempt of remaking CPFL called CPFO which uses a leaderboard rather than a bracket system, idk how far it will go.

I see a FM player on the chat
Me: I thought CPFL was dead.
FM player: Yeah…

It’s at 300 members so far, and the management seems to be identical to PR’s which was owned by my friend Bob before he left for college. I think its a good idea with an upside and a downside, x team could beat y team twice, and be 2-0 but y team could beat z team three times and be 3-0, effectively making Y team higher on the leaderboard than X team. Honestly, the ranking system for the leaderboard is irrelevant though, as long as there are competitive matches being played, I think it’s working out just fine.

FM is not even related to CPFL at all, nor competitive PF in general though?

Month old thread, is dead, how dare you revive

kek

I shall bring l i f e !

FM is garbage